Sunday, June 5, 2011

2011 Hugo Award Nominations and Other Blog News

.
.
Now that the 2011 Hugo Award nominations are out, I will be spending my free time evaluating the 81 nominees in 16 catagories. As a supporting member of the 2011 World Science Fiction Convention - Renovation  - I am entitled to vote on this year's awards and to put in nominations for the 2012 Hugo Awards. This is my first time participating in the Hugos and I want to give all the nominees a fair shake.

Given the quantity of reading that will be required for this, I will be delaying Tannhäuser work to read as many of the stories and novels as I can before the July 31st deadline.

The main reason that I decided to shell out the $50 to be a Supporting Member of WorldCon was that I wanted to be involved in the Hugo Awards and not just read about them. On one of the podcasts I listen to - I believe it was Mur Lafferty's I Should Be Writing (but it might have been Adventures in SciFi Publishing) it was mentioned that if you join WorldCon as a supporting member, you get a nominee packet. Well, this year the packet I received has ebooks of all the fiction nominees and the graphic novels, too. The John W. Campbell Award for best new writer is also given out at Worldcon and novels by those writers are in the packet, too. 

So I now have a lot of reading to do on my new Asus Transformer tablet.
That is a lot of stuff -  worth well over the $50 dollar buy in. It is not to late to get in on this yourself. Visit the Hugo Awards site for all the details.

Maybe I'll go to Texas for the 2013 convention itself...

I will be posting reports on the Nominees as I read them. First up - the Short Story category...

I will also likely be going to San Diego Comic-Con at the end of July and I am going to Gen Con in August. Keep a look out for reports from both conventions.


Hugo from 1996 LA Worldcon

.
.

No comments: